[Dragaera] No traffic since February?

Margaret Young myoung at albion.edu
Wed Mar 12 13:47:59 PDT 2008

Academics do think of it as work, even if it is work they (and other
members of the audience) enjoy, in the sense that it takes cognitive
energy. I guess that for those of us who enjoy it — that is what we
look to entertainment for --rather than to be narcotized.

As for Buffy — yeah, I remember those moments with joy.

Except, of course, Joyce getting her tumour (that is, no joy)  —
which she found out about the very day that I found out I had a
tumour....one of the amazing things is how well Joss nailed down the
exact way one feels at those moments. I was more fortunate than Joyce in
the aftermath but like the smell of Proust's Madeleine all I need do is
rewatch those episodes to remember those feelings. And to understand
them a bit better.

Margaret

>> "Michele Riccio" <mr1 at rcosta.com> 3/12/2008 5:35:39 PM >>>
On 12 Mar 2008 at 11:42, Margaret Young wrote
<SNIP>
> This is notoriously considered to make it hard for new people to
come
> to a television show with a rich and non-obvious fabula  (that is
why
> networks don't like arcs) and yet it is one of the things which I
> always thought attracted people to intelligent world creations.
>
> Am I projecting my delight in the process onto others, do lists such
> as this represent a minority about Brustian fans or are the fans of
> writers such as Brust different (in the terms of the original theory
> more willing to work hard in their relationships to the text?)
>
> Margaret

I hadn't thought of it as "work".  I like series (both book and TV)
where
things are left to the imagination.  I like piecing together hints and
then
being totally blindsided (which Joss Whedon would do with alarming
consistency in Buffy - he never got a chance with Firefly).

I mean, if all the cards are on the table - then what's left for me to
think
about?

MR
Michele Riccio