[Dragaera] Ten New Questions after Dzur. [Dzur Spoilers]

Scott Crain s_thomas_crain at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 07:19:33 PDT 2008

>Ken Koester <kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov> wrote: Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>>On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Scott Crain  wrote:
>>>7. Morrolan, Mum?
>>>
>>>Of course he'll talk to Vlad again.  Wasn't Vlad's fault, etc. etc.
>>>Morrolan is upset, mourning, all the fun stuff, but he isn't the sort
>>>to hold a grudge.
>>Of course he'll get over it. The question is, will he work it out of
>>his system before
>>Vlad is dead (of old age??)?
>All we have is one vague comment about Morrolan's state of mind.  We
>don't really know how angry he is with Vlad, or why he would blame him, or >anything else. On the face of it, it seems odd that Morrolan would
>really lay the whole thing on Vlad; this seems more like a minor tiff,
>if that.

My meaning is misunderstood.  As Kragar puts it in Dragon, Morrolan (if he were pissed off) would go about making Vlad's life ugly, short, or both.  Lady Teldra herself, in Issola, states that if Vlad had pushed Morrolan 'too far', he would indeed have faced a mortal contest.

So if Morrolan was indeed too pissed off, Vlad would know about it very, very soon -- probably 'already', in timeline terms; after all, 'Dzur' did not happen overnight.  Otherwise, Morrolan is a noble, perceives himself as noble, and thus acts the way he most perceives nobles should act -- which is to say, that unless he's going to challenge you to a duel and lop off your limbs one by one, he's going to be at least polite enough to talk to you, not go out of his way to avoid you, etc. etc.  In Morrolan and Vlad's case, I'd be very surprised if Vlad doesn't visit Castle Black sometime soon.

S. Thomas Crain
Author-in-Training