[Dragaera] Ten New Questions after Dzur. [Dzur Spoilers]

Alain Feeny sauronth at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 21 17:32:52 PDT 2008

On 21-Mar-08, at 11:00 AM, Michael Wojcik wrote:
>> Vlad didn't
>> specify anything; he just didn't want the oncoming spell to hit
>> him. So
>> Lady Teldra acted independently, and apparently destroyed the soul.
>
> Daymar's partial explanation could be read as suggesting that the
> soul's destruction was an accident - that it had something to do with
> the nature of the spell, and how Lady Teldra acted to block it. He
> refers to a "channel through the etherium" and "reverse influx" (139,
> in the paperback); so it's conceivable that Lady Teldra bounced the
> spell back and *it* actually destroyed the soul. (Note the Left Hand
> is messing with some unconventional sorcery, per Vlad's conversation
> with Sethra on 82.)
>
> But I'm also perfectly happy with the "Lady Teldra isn't awake and is
> acting instinctively" explanation, and probably even with the "Lady
> Teldra the Great Weapon is not as subtle as Lady Teldra the Issola"
> one - though a polite Great Weapon has some real storytelling
> potential.

I'm rather partial to the idea that part of why Lady Teldra isn't
awake yet, is that she needs to "power up" on a few souls first, hence
why the first opportunity to snack is taken (albeit from a surprising
range).

In any event Lady Teldra's ability to exercise her soul devouring
talent through the channel created between caster and target when an
offensive spell is cast against her wielder is a serious deterrent for
trying to magically fry a certain Easterner...