[Dragaera] incident with Pel

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 12 23:02:23 PDT 2008

In Chapter 6 of _TPG_ (pages 60-62), Pel describes the death of his
partner.  He says they argued about sorcery, she raised her hands
as if to cast a spell, he drew, then talked her down, and then she
rushed to embrace him, spitting herself on his sword.  He tells
Captain G'aereth that there were many witnessess, who will confirm
his story.  (Note the little exchange with Khaavren which follows -
it's priceless.)

The above is surely nonsense, but the Captain doesn't challenge it.
Is Pel sure his lie will be allowed to stand, or has he prepared
the scene of the duel, or what?  I'm also not entirely sure about
the dalliance angle.  I can't imagine Pel making such a bad pass
that she would try to kill him.  And I can't really imagine Pel
killing her based on a gesture.

Another bit to note is in Tazendra's account.  She says that
she met someone who appeared to be a count - no, make it a duke -
on her patrol.  Do we have any sense of the likelihood she could
discern rank from dress, or that such a thing could be done in the
source literature?