[Dragaera] incident with Pel

Steve Rapaport steve at romlin.com
Fri Jun 13 01:31:16 PDT 2008

> Pel describes the death of his
> partner.  He says they argued about sorcery, she raised her hands
> as if to cast a spell, he drew, then talked her down, and then she
> rushed to embrace him, spitting herself on his sword.  He tells
> Captain G'aereth that there were many witnessess, who will confirm
> his story.  (Note the little exchange with Khaavren which follows -
> it's priceless.)
>
> The above is surely nonsense, but the Captain doesn't challenge it.
> Is Pel sure his lie will be allowed to stand, or has he prepared
> the scene of the duel, or what?

My guess when I read it: He's sure that the lie will be allowed to stand,
because it's close to the truth, and the real truth would be slandering the
name of the dead partner.  The actual scene was probably similar from an
visual point of view, but those who heard the actual words spoken would know
that the woman had disgraced herself or acted in a cowardly way, and
therefore they wouldn't wish to contradict Pel.

>  I'm also not entirely sure about
> the dalliance angle.  I can't imagine Pel making such a bad pass
> that she would try to kill him.  And I can't really imagine Pel killing her
> based on a gesture.

Not at all.  The woman probably acted in a way not too different from
Khaavren's haughty partner, but Pel managed to get her so upset that she
said something so dishonorable that Pel could kill her without arousing any
of the witnesses.  The witnesses were probably all Phoenix and Dragons.

--
\Steve