[Dragaera] Jhegaala *Spoilers*

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jul 11 12:35:11 PDT 2008

From: "Bryan Newell" <bryann at bryann.net>

> > > That works, except why refer to it as a private joke?
>

> I think that either it's Vlad's private joke (in which case he's either
> referring to something that happened in Jhereg/Yendi/Teckla/Taltos/Phoenix,
> in which case I missed it, or he's referring to something that happened
> prior to /Jhegaala/ that he hasn't told us about yet) or it's Steve's
> private joke.
>
> If it's the latter, the best I can come up with is this post by John M.
> Ford, but it's a stretch:
>
> http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007944.html#141451

Apparently, after Googling it, this is an old joke. See:

http://www.clown-ministry.com/index_1.php/site/articles/whats_time_to_a_pig/

I'd never heard this joke before, so I didn't catch the direct reference on the first read-through.

I have no idea where Vlad might have heard a Dragaean version of this joke, certainly not in any of the books we've seen so far. At least, not overtly. Perhaps it's another one of those between-the-lines things, but if so, it's far too subtle for me.

I suspect this is a personal Steve joke more than a personal Vlad joke, but you'd probably have to get confirmation of that from him (if he's feeling generous) to be certain.