[Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 12:36:11 PDT 2008

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Scott Schultz wrote:
>
>> *spoilers space that won't do you any good if you get the digest...*
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
> Note that the costs of transport are trivial under the new Orb.

I'm not sure that assumption is warranted until we see an example of trade
goods being shipped via teleport. As far as  I can remember, goods in the
Empire still move around the old fashioned way.

> Also I'd expect that adding sorcery to the recipe would solve the
> stink.  Which leads to the question, why does the meatpacking
> district smell in Adrilahnka, but ok.

It may be theoretically possible and yet be impractical. Consider _Dragon_,
when the rain was falling on the troops. Sethra didn't ask her wizard's
corps to change the weather. When the rain fell, individuals erected shields
and eventually let them fail because the alternative was to burn out their
brains.

Odor, when it's caused by a continuous chemical reaction as opposed to a
one-shot event (skunk spray, say) may be similar. Removing the odor means
that someone has to constantly power the spell which means that you have to
have a bunch of people doing it in shifts to avoid killing themselves. The
expense is more than the leather/paper/meat/whatever is worth.

> Anyway Vlad is a very
> bizarre trade delegation - is it even an implausible lie?

Apparently not, since the Count doesn't buy it, but it's not all that
unreasonable on the face of it. Why not send an Easterner to deal with other
Easterners? The Count knows about the Court and the Empress. He probably
knows or at least can surmise that occasionally Easterners rise to positions
of prominence in the Court, depending on how useful they are.