[Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 14 13:41:45 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Hart" <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
To: <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Seventeen Maybe Different Jhegaala Spoilers

> Just that Vlad doesn't make a likely deputation, what with the sword and
> the familiars and the attitude.  An older Easterner, more likely a group
> including such an Easterner, would be what I'd expect, esp. given
> teleportation.  There'd be a letter the Count could read, etc.

Too bad Vlad didn't think like that! ;-) You can take the Jhereg out of the
Empire, or something like that...

>But what Loiosh senses is _during_ the spell, not before, when Vlad
>is removing the gold stone for zero reason.

I'm going to have to re-read that. I remember it as Vlad taking of the black
phoenix stone and putting into it's special bag.

>But the claim is that the gold stone only works when on Vlad's chest?
>I don't see why it wouldn't be as effective held in his hand a few inches
>from his body.

No, he has a specially prepared box (though, it seems to be a bag in this
novel) that he stores the phoenix stones in when he doesn't want their
effects. Don't ask me what it's made of. Lead, probably. (Hey, it works for
Kryptonite...)

The black stone continues to exert its effect when its simply lieing on the
pillow beside Vlad in his hotel room near the end of the story. This is
partially what tips him off to the fact that some witches in the coven know
what it is and some don't.

>"Hey, dude, there's a guy in the next village who's tall as Shaquille
>O'Neil but he's skinnier than your sister, and he's giving away gold
>to anyone who'll tell him about the Count!  You should go get you some
>of that."

Actually, this is only ludicrous if you assume it happened in Burz. If he
ported into Fenario City and spoke to the right people, he could find out
who a likely target for bribes would be.

>Right, there's no need for any backing.  Just a way to try to get a little
>edge on Noij.  Presumably Vlad's not doing so does speak to
>his depth of feeling on the subject.

No arguments on that score.