[Dragaera] Vlad and the Undead

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Wed Oct 1 08:34:27 PDT 2008

>  It's hard to imagine that Kieron and Co. managed to get themselves dumped
> off from all the way across the Empire - how did their souls survive?
> What's the fate
> of drowned sailors?  Teckla?

About this particular point - There are sorcerous spells that preserve the
body and soul together for the trip to Deathsgate. Paarfi mentions this
specifically in regards to Khaavren and Pel's trip with Aerich and Tazendra
to Deathsgate. Pel (I think it was Pel) insisted that despite the
new-fangled teleportation technology,  Aerich would have wanted it done the
traditional way. They prepared Aerich and Tazendra and spent a year
traveling to Deathsgate, where they performed the rites, said their goodbyes
to their friends, and teleported home.

Assuming that Kieron needed to be taken to Deathsgate in order to make it
to, and then through, The Paths of the Dead (I guess he must have been the
beta tester!) it's no great stretch that the Gods communicated the process
to the early shamen the same way that they communicated with Zerika the
First about the method to create the Orb.

Drowned sailors and Teckla would just go to the Plane of Waiting Souls,
barring divine intervention or some sort of extraordinary preparations.
Teckla, in particular, don't have any kind of actual House organization.
That's why they abdicate most of their House duties to one of the other
Houses to act as their proxy during most administrations. It might be that
some prominent Teckla family has acquired the knowledge of how to navigate
the Paths and preserved it in a fashion similar to Morrolan's family, but it
must be a rare thing.

One of the interesting side effects of plentiful and cheap teleportation is
that the trip to Deathsgate is now within the financial reach of ambitious
Teckla families that might otherwise have been unable to afford the
preparations and the time to make the trip the old way. The last couple of
centuries might have resulted in something of an influx of peasantry into
the Halls of Judgement (whether as guests or servants/purple robes).