[Dragaera] fame and secrecy [was: Vlad's passivity--getting long]

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 09:31:43 PDT 2008

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

[Why didn't Ricard slap Vlad on the back and congratulate
him for saving everyone from the Jenoine?]

> Part of the Paarfi-Sethra theory has it that the revelation
> of
> many state secrets in the Paarfiad is explained by the need
> to rally the populace against the threat of the J.

Okay.

> Anyway, the point is entirely moot here since _Dzur_
> follows
> _Issola_ immediately and with the best of will the events
> would not be well-known outside the smallest of circles.

Vlad meets Ric two days after the final events of
/Issola/, according to Alexx's timeline.  That would be
plenty of time for word to get around Adrilankha, if the
Empire wanted to publicize the victory, as I think they
should.  Zerika could have the Phoenix Guards or someone
post notices on corners around the city, for instance.

Vlad and Kragar exchange pleasantries on day 7-9, says
Alexx.  That's more than enough time.  (Vlad's
conversations with other Jhereg don't prove much, as
they're in no mood to thank him for saving them from
slavery.  Though it wouldn't be out of the question
for them to say, "If you think your connections with
the Empress, or anything you might have done, get
you off--")

So I still think it's weird that either the Empire
is keeping it secret, for no reason I can see, or
people don't talk to Vlad about it.

Jerry Friedman