[Dragaera] Loose ends - A poll for the list.

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:33:30 PST 2009

I like to ask questions like this as if I were writing the series myself, as
well as if I were reading it.

>From that dual point of view, I think both the Vlad/Cawti and the Vlad/Verra
relationships will be the key to the last book, and can't be properly
resolved until that.  Especially the latter.  Vlad's destiny seems to be
reaching toward a Sethra-like influence on the world -- not necessarily
godhood, but certainly on that level.

The Tukko/Sethra thing is fascinating but not necessarily crucial and can be
developed any time Steve wants to throw some cool in for us.

Savn is entirely optional as I see it.  His part in Vlad's story is done,
but of course he's a young Teckla with unusual experience, and could come
back as a player later for some other reason altogether.  Or someone could
kill him just to piss Vlad off, as happened to poor Reins.

The Vlad/Teldra relationship will probably develop amusingly over the next
few books going forward and may or may not be a plot pivot.  Same with
Vlad/Kragar and Vlad/Morrolan.

Vlad/Dolivar/Sethra and Vlad/Dolivar/Kieron/Aliera and Devera/Kieron/Aliera
may well be key, though.  I think a big part of the story arc is the Dolivar
lifetime and Sethra's role in that, and it has to be explained and at least
partly resolved, likely in the penultimate book, to set up The Final
Contract.

Or that's how I'd do it.  Steve is way more devious than me.

Steve the Younger

2009/1/24 Eugene Zaretskiy <eugene.zar at gmail.com>

> For me, Vlad and Cawti's relationship is the keystone to the entire
> series, so that's my top priority in the broad sense... but I also
> wouldn't want Steve to jump on here and summarize their future,
> either. So I'm not sure if that counts. A better answer might be Savn.
> I'm extremely curious about his future.
>
> - EZ
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > As we wait anxiously for the next Vlad novel, I thought I would take the
> > opportunity to ask an open question to the list for anyone who cares to
> > voice their opinion on the subject.
> >
> > The question: What remaining unanswered question or unknown element in
> the
> > Vlad series are you MOST looking forward to having answered?
> >
> > Some ideas might be: What will happen with Lady Teldra? What is the real
> > relationship between Tukko and Sethra Lavode? The question of Kragar's
> > semi-invisibility. The question of what (if anything) will happen with
> Savn.
> > Will Devera ever make an "official" appearance, (i.e. actually be born)?
> > Will Vlad/Cawti ever get back together?
> >
> > Obviously, there's almost certainly going to be several of these that we
> all
> > want to know. If you must, it's okay to answer with multiple questions,
> but
> > I'm really looking for answers that can pin it down to ONE thing above
> all
> > others.
> >
> > For me, I think the question first and foremost is the resolution to the
> > Vlad/Verra conflict that has been set up in Issola/Dzur.
> >
> > Any other comments on this are welcome.
> >
> > Majikjon

\Steve