[Dragaera] So I finally finished "Sethra Lavode"...

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 9 16:27:35 PST 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>>
>>> get past him to get at Verra. Remember at the Lesser Seas of Chaos in
>>> /Issola/ where Blackwand continued to protect Morrolan's soul, even as he
>>> lay dead.
>>
>> This nearly makes an important sequence in _Jhereg_ uncanonical.
>
> How so? Sethra specifically addresses this in the exposition in
> /Issola/. She says the Jhereg assassin was lucky, and stupid, and that
> Blackwand was still guarding the soul--all consistent with later
> events. The events in /Jhereg/ are perfectly canonical.

Probably should have quoted, "Destroying Morrolan's Soul might be the only
way to neutralize Blackwand and get past him to get at Verra" instead.
Otherwise don't know what I was thinking if anything.

Incidentally, Sethra's explanation is unconvincing to me.  Blackwand
continued to protect M's _body_ in _I_, but doesn't in _Jhe_, in fact
allowing a spell to continue to work against it long after the conflict.