[Dragaera] Sleep cycles

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Jan 22 10:48:19 PST 2010

On 1/22/2010 11:26 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> A couple of times I've suspected caffeine may have kept me from sleeping.
> But usually I can have a coke or a mug of tea just before bed as part of
> the process of winding down and getting ready to stop doing stuff.  I
> don't drink much caffeine -- couple of cokes and maybe some tea in a
> typical day.  Nothing happens if I miss a few days (no headaches or
> anything), and I drop to sleep very quickly nearly all the time.
>
> I find I get an energy peak just about when I should be going to bed most
> days.  I think a 28 or so hour day might work very well for me.

A lot of this depends on your sleep cycle as much as your wake cycle.
It is fun to compare people who stay up late and get up late to those
who go to bed early and get up early - they can often have the same
cycle, with the sun as the variable.  It could also be that their work
is a significant variable, or when they get their exercise, or when they
eat.

And different people sleep differently.   Some people just want to avoid
going to sleep.  Others don't like sleeping all night.    Society
doesn't like us taking naps the way many biologists say we should.
(Spaniards who have eliminated their siesta but still go to bed late at
night suffer from sleep deprivation).    Any references to napping in
the books?

All of these could disguise how long a person's natural cycle is.