[Dragaera] Teleport Shipping

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 23:00:25 PST 2010

Philip Hart wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Jon%20Lincicum wrote:

Well, in the one case, you have one being, capable of performing one set
of actions, who is in a state of transit between two places, and in some
sense exists in those two places at once.

In the other, you have two fully functioning and independent
manifestations of the same being... capable of independent actions and
activities from one another.

Essentially, gods can multi-task at an existential level.  At least,
that's how I've always interpreted the idea. A person in the midst of a
teleport doesn't appear to have this ability, from what we have seen.
While he can in some sense be in two places at once, he cannot *be* in
two places at once. If you get my meaning.

As I said, it is fundamentally a semantic quibble, as it depends on
exactly what you mean by saying a being "manifests" somewhere.

Majikjon

"You can't *not be* on a boat."
"I've frequently not been on boats."
"No; what you've been is not on boats."