[Dragaera] left hand right hand in Iorich

Jerry Alan Sayers dusty at sayersnet.com
Sun Mar 7 11:53:15 PST 2010

> My point above was that it's not obvious to me that the LH is in any
> official sense part of House Jhereg - and I don't off-hand recall any
> requirement for a Dragaeran citizen to be in a house if gya is willing
> to do without the associated advantages.
>
> Indeed, if the LH were part of House Jhereg, one would figure they
> would have at least insisted on a council seat.

I seem to recall Vlad (or one of his friends) saying something about
many Jhereg not being part of the Organization (or the Right Hand)--I
certainly presume that Vlad's father did not mean to begin a life of
organized crime when he bought his baronetcy.  Presumably a fair number
of members of House Jhereg do other things, just as not all Orca are
sailors or all Lyorn are recordsmiths.  Quite a few cross-breeds,
outcasts, and others probably join so they can  be citizens without
being Teckla.  If this is the case, the Left Hand could (and apparently
does) have its own leadership, just as the Organization has its Council,
and from time to time they (or individual members) work together or
against each other, as we see in /Iorich/.  The House Representative
seems to represent the Organization first and foremost, but perhaps he
(or people on his staff) also represent the Left Hand and any
non-criminal Jhereg that may exist.

--
J A Dusty Sayers

Home Page http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/
Rescue the Princess http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/rescue/

'Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.'
      --G. K. Chesterton