[Dragaera] left hand right hand in Iorich

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 7 14:58:43 PST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 02:53:15PM -0500, Jerry Alan Sayers wrote:

>> Indeed, if the LH were part of House Jhereg, one would figure they
>> would have at least insisted on a council seat.

The council runs the Organization, not the House.

And Vlad said in _Jhereg_ there wasn't even an formal council before the
Interregnum, just crime bosses and I guess informal negotiations.
Though in that case I wonder who sold Jhereg titles.  The Heir?

Who is the Jhereg Heir, anyway and how is that decided?  Maybe there
isn't one until the Cycle gives them a chance of needing one and they
fight for it.

Personally I think "right hand" showed up long ago, though I could be
wrong.  Not used much, but "few women in the Right Hand" maybe.

> I seem to recall Vlad (or one of his friends) saying something about
> many Jhereg not being part of the Organization (or the Right Hand)--I
> certainly presume that Vlad's father did not mean to begin a life of
> organized crime when he bought his baronetcy.  Presumably a fair number

Indeed.
Also you've got whores like Mellar's mother.

> being Teckla.  If this is the case, the Left Hand could (and apparently
> does) have its own leadership, just as the Organization has its Council,

Yeah.  I took recent books as revealing that the Left Hand is an
entirely separate and fairly recent criminal organization of its own,
located in Jhereg because that's where criminals and House-rejects go.

It's still odd that the Organization is mostly male, while the Left Hand
is all female... simplest explanation might be that Jhereg crime used to
be egalitarian, but since its founding the Left Hand has successfully
recruited most ambitious Jhereg women, so the Organization is male by
default.

-xx- Damien X-)