[Dragaera] Dragaera Casting

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Wed Jun 2 14:28:08 PDT 2010

> My point wasn't to question whether the Timeline in any way fails to
> capture the most reasonable interpretation of the Texts, it's whether
> the dates in the Texts are wrong, due to mischief or error or whatever.

The Texts absolutely do contain some errors.  One of the earliest things I
wrote for the Timeline was:

[In the prologue to _Phoenix_, Vlad says that _Phoenix_ took place in 234
and 235. Given Vlad's bad memory, he must have misremembered 243 as 234,
and then just added one, since he remembered it as being the New Year. I
thought that the original dating reference (Jhereg says it's been "243
years since the end of the Interregnum", Jr 19) might have been mistaken,
but if it was, then Vlad would have been seven or eight years old during
the 221 uprising, and remembered it himself, which he clearly doesn't (T
160-161). Later (P 152), Vlad says correctly that it's 244 PI.]

Part of the fun of doing the Timeline is to attempt to find explanations
for anomalies that make them be Not Really Errors after all -- but
sometimes you just have to acknowledge that Homer nodded.

Alexx

"Almost all Eskimo jokes have the same punch line -- You know,
 he fell through the ice and died."         -- Larry Marder