[Dragaera] Devera's birth

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:27:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
> Even so, she has an actual birth event at some point. She refers to Vlad as
> "Uncle Vlad" and show obvious affection for him and an active interest in
> his life. It seems to me that she would have known him for several years
> during her early childhood. That is, she developed that affection from
> knowing him while she was growing up rather than developing it sometime
> after she started planeswalking.

It's been a while since I read the books (it's almost time for a
re-read...) but I recall thinking that Devera calling Vlad "Uncle" was
yet another example of her usual tricks. After all, Aliera is the
re-incarnation of Dolivar's sister, and Vlad is Dolivar's
re-incarnation. That certainly makes Vlad an honest-to-Verra Uncle
from a certain perspective. Probably the same perspective that one has
when being able to speak to your uncle before being born.

--
Eugene Z