[Dragaera] Two Words about Tiassa (spoilers)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 10 09:34:28 PDT 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011, Claire Rojstaczer wrote:

> SPOILER
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *
>
> The first involves Rynend
>
> Conclusion: one of the Rynends is an imposter. But which? And why?

I've been assuming that's a crack.  I thought there was some off-chance
that Ryend has a secretary who fronts for him with dangerous strangers who
don't know what he looks like (Norathar counts) and they coordinate
psychically, but that seems very clunky.  I don't see any narrative reason
to hide his methods or appearance, given that I figure his next visitor
from the Council didn't call on him at home.

> The second involves the timing of Piro and Ibronka's visits to H'noc's
> brothel. We are told (p. 90) that they visited "maybe half a year ago.
> Then two or three times after that. The last time was last month." When
> asked who entertained them, Omlo says "Neritha." He doesn't mention any
> other names. And yet we're also told that Omlo hasn't seen Neritha "in,
> I think, about three months." So clearly she didn't entertain them on
> their last visit. I presume that visit was largely to speak with H'noc
> about matters of business, in which case they would have seen no one at
> all. That seems unusual enough for Omlo to mention--but he doesn't.
> What's his motivation for hiding things?

I didn't notice this, but maybe he was busy at the time and heard
second-hand that they had shown up.

Seeing you set out the above it seems a bit odd that Ibronka could be said
to have fallen in love after two or three meetings tops, assuming Omlo is
aware of all of them.