[Dragaera] Tiassa -- Chapter the Sixth vs Epilogue -- spoiler

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:45:11 PDT 2011

ded

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Scott Schultz wrote:

> actually the unreliable narrator here, but there's no good reason to believe
> that Vlad would lie about a basically inconsequential event while Paarfi
> would tell the truth.
>
> The question, then, is "Why the discrepancy?"

What's the discrepancy again?  Only that the epilogue takes place later in
Smallcliff, I thought?  That seems a trivial difference, and might just be
Paarfi not wanting to discuss the whole issue of how one locates Vlad.

> It's very interesting that Paarfi has the important particulars of the
> discussion between Vlad and Khaavren basically correct, albeit dressed up
> with his typical poetic license. The only details really missing are the
> presence of Savn and the revelation of Lady Teldra.

I think we can read LT into Paarfi's account in good conscience - Khaavren
says "I see you've got your sword back" or something, an even drier way of
reacting to a drawn Morganti weapon than Vlad's version.

> It suggests that Paarfi's source is an eyewitness. Since there are three
> Dragaerans present, it could be any one of them, though I still tend to
> think that Khaavren would have little or no interest in assisting Paarfi
> in documenting his life the way he has done.

What I'm wondering about at the moment is why Paarfi would choose to
document this event.  Perhaps he has a personal interest because of the
tiassa.

[stuff I mean to contemplate later snipped]

Maybe the tiassa is Paarfi's source.