[Dragaera] Rynend and Dathaani (spoilers for Tiassa, of course)

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 09:08:29 PDT 2011

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17

I finally read Tiassa, and I have a couple of comments on the scenes with the
bad guys.

Isn't there a crack on page 186?  At the top of the page, Rynend seems to know
already that the Empress is involved in the scheme, because he brings her into
the conversation.  At the bottom, he seems surprised that she'll be involved and
doesn't want to know how.

When Norathar goes to Rynend's house, I took it that the person she talks to is
one of Rynend's bodyguards.  Either Rynend meets all strangers that way, or he
meets people who have the Dragon Heir's mark that way.  (I'm reminded of a
Hispanic friend of mine who answers the phone in his not-very-good Spanish when
he doesn't recognize the caller's number--and he has much less to worry about
than a Jhereg boss does.)  The impostor would have been communicating
psionically with the real Rynend during the silence at the bottom of p. 190.

How can Rynend and Dathaani hope to get away with this?  If Dathaani's plan
succeeds, some representative of the Empire will meet Vlad at the same time as
the Jhereg muscle, who will kill him Morganti.  (Vlad might certainly get to the
meeting at the appointed time instead of waiting around to be shined
beforehand.)  A Jhereg witness will be there too.  The Empire will find out
there was no Jenoine threat and no reason to believe the silver tiassa would
have protected them.  And the Jhereg don't think anyone will put two, three,
five, and seven together?  Or Dathaani thinks that with the Empire very angry,
Rynend can protect him?

Jerry Friedman