[Dragaera] Tiassa and translation (spoiler)

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Apr 25 09:27:22 PDT 2011

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>>> 0
>>> 1
>>> 2
>>> 3
>>> 4
>>> 5
>>> 6
>>> 7
>>> 8
>>> 9
>>> a
>>> b
>>> c
>>> d
>>> e
>>> f
>>>

>> I've long assumed that Vlad's contact with Brust-the-translator are not
>> linear in time.  He knows that if he talks into the box, B-t-t will get
>> it
>> at some point -- but that point may be before (from B-t-t's point of
>> view)
>> other books that Vlad has already dictated.  That seems the simplest(!)
>> explanation for all of Vlad's variations on the phrase "I don't know if
>> you know this or not".
>
> How are trinkets getting through in this scenario?

I didn't mean to imply that the 'box' was a transmitter (though I suppose
it might be).  I presume that Vlad still has to occasionally have a
physical meet-up with someone to exchange box data and payment.  Though
that person could easily enough be Sethra or the Necromancer; "Hey Sethra,
could you give this to that writer guy when you see him next?  I'll be by
to pick up payment whenever I'm next in the area."

Alexx

"The odds are you know some monarchists and don't know it. In fact,
 for reasons explained elsewhere, I am a monarchist, although of course
 I don't favour actually giving them power. Or giving them any public
 funds. Or necessarily allowing them into the country. In fact, it's
 not clear to me an ideal monarch needs to be an actual living person,
 if a suitable iduru could be manufactured."   -- James Nicoll