[Dragaera] gizmos and mcguffins [Tiassa spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Jul 9 23:52:29 PDT 2011

A few disorganized thoughts about _Tiassa_ and Vlad.  I recently reread
_The Maltese Falcon_ with the idea of looking for links to the silver
tiassa.  I was struck anew by Spade's widow's peak but even more by the
parallels to Vlad's history.  Spade's motivations are made clear at the
end of the novel when he sacrifices Brigid.  He says he doesn't think he
could get away with protecting her, given his position wrt the police, and
he wouldn't if he could, because he doesn't want to think there was some
chance she had manipulated him.  In short, he's vulnerable, and that
overrides all feeling, and more than anything he wants control.  As Kelly
explains to Vlad at the end of _Teckla_, Vlad has been striving to be
powerful - to be safe and independent.  But the events he is involved in
are about to destroy his safety and (to a large extent) his influence.

I didn't see a lot of immediately useful elements beyond that, except
perhaps the general idea that the falcon awakes people's dreams.

Someone said here that we shouldn't look on the tiassa as a gizmo.  I'm
still resistant for whatever reason to the idea of it being a link to the
subconscious, and have been wondering about that argument in reference to
Kieron's reinsomethinging.  That is a pretty inarguable instance of it
having an effect in the world - if we understand what that effect is,
perhaps we can say that's what it does full stop.  I certainly don't
understand what was needed - not his soul, presumably, since that's what
he is at this point; not his genes, because 0) the gods have ways (e.g.,
Aliera got her body back) and 1) the tiassa can't have such a corporal
effect as its sole action.  I'm tempted to say the tiassa makes people's
dreams real.  Perhaps the bureaucrat who never notices any effect just
doesn't dream (can't see how to blame _Orca_ on him anyway).  It helps
people to realize their dreams.  I don't see how that explains what
happens with Savn though, assuming something does.  If it promoted
wholeness I could see it allowing Kieron to father a child and Savn to
overcome his mental damage, and perhaps the artistic effects as well - but
that's not really consistent with the inspiration that a tiassa should
cause.  Is there such a thing as spirit in Dragaera, as distinct from
soul?  Or taking the word a bit literally, maybe the tiassa puts the
spirit in - it gives the possessor access to everything he or she knows
and is.  Then what Kieron needs to father Devera is for his soul to be
bound in his body (presumably this isn't something Verra can do by
herself), and Savn needs for the parts of his mind or soul or spirit that
have been blocked off to be present in his conscious mind.  Maybe I'm
talking myself around to a somewhat expansive version of Vlad's position.