[Dragaera] Off-Topic Discussion: Occupy Wall Street

Kenneth Gorelick pulmon at me.com
Thu Dec 15 18:44:20 PST 2011

I would add that the so-called productivity boosts are totally bogus. They result from the fiction that people work 40 hours per week. If an employee needs to work 50 hours to get the job done because of massive layoffs, and if that employee's efficiency is maintained at the same level for the last 10 hours as it was for the first 40, then productivity has increased by 25%.

Since that employee has not seen a pay raise to go along with the increased work (since s/he is an exempt employee) costs to management have decreased. The increased burden on society due to the psychological impact of the work load increase are not borne by the company. As a result, we have the appearance of significant boosts in productivity accompanied by the reality of increased drag on the society from the newly unemployed and the consequences of the increased workload on the surviving employees.

The real debate should be about why we exist as a nation. Until there is some agreement on this it is hard to figure out how to get out of the mess we are in.