[Dragaera] Off-Topic Discussion: Occupy Wall Street

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sun Dec 18 11:11:08 PST 2011

On 2011-12-15 18:20, Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Joshua Kronengold wrote:
>
>> Your problem.  The custom to keep private email private is a matter of trust, not privacy or copyright.  It is almost always appropriate to publish letters sent to you, but it's usually rude.
>
> This list is different from other lists I am a member of.   If I hit "reply", the message goes to the individual sender, not to the list.    Quite often, I notice that I did that, and have to go through my sent basket, and re-send the e-mails I thought went to the group.   At that time, I don't see the original.
>
> Other list servers the default is to reply to the group.

Things change over time, and I'm old-school on this one.

First, the way most mailers work, if we set a default to reply to list,
that makes it hard (requiring manual cut-and-paste of the address) to
reply directly to the sender.

Second, modern email clients will see the special headers in this list
and put a "reply to list" button into the UI for messages in this list.
  Thunderbird does, for example.

Third, the error of accidentally emailing something intended for the
list just to the sender is a minor annoyance for two people, and cannot
cause a loss of privacy.  However, the error of accidentally emailing
something intended for just one person to the entire list CAN cause a
loss of privacy.  Thus, the setting we have on this list causes
less-serious accidents than the alternative.

Fourth -- some discussions are best moved off-list, and the idea of
people who met here developing some kind of one-to-one relationship
(starting with directly emailing each other) is quite compatible with my
overall view of mailing lists in general and this one in particular.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info