[Dragaera] someone raising money to donate to skzb and emma bull

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 26 11:11:42 PDT 2012

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, Margaret Young wrote:

> On boingboing.net (Raising money to help Steve Brust and Emma Bull's
> medical expenses--
> http://boingboing.net/2012/08/25/raising-money-to-help-steve-br.html ) Cory
> Doctorow links to Scott Lynch's offer to donate two-thirds of the proceeds
> of his own "name your price" novel to Brust and Bull.
>
> [...]
>
> Skzb -- if you read this -- your books have brought me enormous amounts of
> enjoyment. If there is a way for me to contribute to your medical expenses
> (or Emma's) I would appreciate the chance to do so.

Coincidentally I've been looking at recent Texts a bit lately, and the
need to help people and the difficulty of accepting help is a persistent
theme.  Thus at the end of _Dzur_ Cawti practically taunts Vlad for
getting rescued while rescuing her.  And Aliera's situation drives her
friends to drink in _Iorich_.  And the theme of obligation which is so
important after _Athyra_ reappears in _Tiassa_, especially at the very
end, where it brings two people who ought to be friends nearly to blows.

Anyway if Aerich or Teldra were available to say, "This is how to do what
you should do", I would follow that advice.

Incidetnally Lynch's _The Lies of Locke Lamora_ is a terrific read likely
to appeal to everyone on this list.