[Dragaera] Directions in Dragaera

Bryan Newell via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sat Oct 4 17:11:20 PDT 2014

> One thing I've never really understood is the old names vs. the new names
> as far as direction-based names were concerned.  So, if something WAS
> North such and such, it's now...in the West?

I don't remember running into much deliberate directional confusion while
creating the map (though Steve acknowledged a few accidental ones), but
here's one passage I flagged from chapter 7 of Teckla:

	The Easterners' section is South Adrilankha, which is mostly west of
central Adrilankha.

Here's a couple of passages that establish that the northwest has been the
northwest since "the earliest days of the Empire":

	to the far northwestern region of the continent, on a peak called
Kana, in the Kanefthali Mountains. In the earliest days of the Empire, when
the seventeen tribes ... united under the Dragonlord Kieron the Conqueror
and the Phoenix Zerika the First and began moving east, among the first
discoveries was [the Kanefthali Mountains] ... Zerika negotiated with the
Serioli for much of [the ore found there] - Chapter 3, The Paths of the Dead

and

	It was the gods who sent the dreams that inspired Kieron the
Conqueror to gather the tribes and move east ... thus it was the gods who
created the Empire that drove the Serioli from their homes. - Chapter 2,
Issola

Bryan
http://bryann.net/dragaera