[Dragaera] Hawk *SPOILERS*

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Thu Oct 9 20:45:33 PDT 2014

On 10/7/2014 6:13 PM, Bryan Newell via Dragaera wrote:

> Prologue
>
> I'm pretty sure Steve said somewhere he was a fan:
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRdQeuZ9Tw).

Nice catch. I don't watch this show myself, so would have otherwise
completely missed this. Definitely one for the Jokes & Allusion page if
and when we get C&S back.

Based on the premise of that show, however, I wouldn't be surprised if
the producer was a Vlad fan.

> Chapter 3
>
> "She saw the harness ... Yeah, yeah. I was wearing the harness you gave me,
> with the fancy strange sticky stuff you can pull off and put on again, and I
> had a few weapons attached to it.  There.  Are you happy?"
>
> /Who/ is he talking to?  Is it Steve?  And did whoever-it-is give Vlad some
> sort of velcro harness?

I am absolutely positive it was not Velcro used on Vlad's harness, since
that is a duly registered trademark. I'm certain he was talking of some
completely different other type of hook and loop fastening product that
bears no similarities whatever to any actual trademarked intellectual
property, outside of working in exactly the same way.

However, I can't shake the feeling that "Len and Nieces" is somehow a
crafty reference to some kind of coffee-serving establishment; but I am
unable to decipher the reference (if any).

> Chapter 4
>
> Asyavn = And Still Yet Another Vlad Novel?

Already Started Yet Another Vlad Novel?

Awkwardly Struggling with Yet Another Vlad Novel?

> Chapter 8
>
> "What's odd?"
> "Your head-there was a wall in it."
> "A wall? How could there be-oh, right.  Yeah, I don't want to talk about
> it."
>
> I feel like I should get this, but I don't.
I agree that this is likely referring to Verra's known meddling in
Vlad's memories. I find it interesting that Daymar uses the past-tense
"was", but then Vlad says "I've remembered and forgotten this once
before", implying the memory blockage is prone to relapse.

I wonder if this happens on its own as an innate property of what Verra
did, or if she is somehow managing to actively re-apply the effect
whenever Vlad remembers?

> No new geographical information, so the map abides.

Well, really tons of new geographical information; just all of it
relating to locations in and around Adrilankha.

If you ever have a spare century or two, a map of just the city itself
might be an interesting side project. No pressure.