[Dragaera] Fwd: Peasant fantasy

Jerry Alan Sayers via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Nov 3 20:02:53 PST 2014

Do not forget that there were white sharecroppers, too.  The white
landlords did want them as a peasant class, and labour contracts and
lots of other laws tried to keep them (especially black ones) in
something like serfdom, but at least in the early 20th century there was
some mobility (going North to the factories starting during WWI or going
West to look for better farm work, although that did not always work out
great, either).  Even in the late 19th century, some white and black
poor farmers in the South briefly tried to work together in Farmer's
Alliances until entrenched politicians were able to use racism to drive
a wedge between the poor farmers briefly united by class interests
rather than divided by race.  Even if there were lots of poor farmers in
the South, there was enough hope (even if little enough reality) of some
social mobility that I don't think there was an acceptance of peasant
status, or even a sense among the poor farmers that they were peasants,
even if some of them were pretty close to that in reality.