[Dragaera] Theory re: Sethra & Tukko

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Thu Mar 24 14:41:53 PDT 2016

   From: Philip Hart via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>
 Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Theory re: Sethra & Tukko

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Jonathan Carey, CHRL via Dragaera wrote:

>> First, Tukko is a vampire.
>
>I have really no idea what a vampire is in the Vladiverse, so it's hard to
>see how it helps one way or the other.

You must have some idea.  Vampires are undead, and they live on,well, other things.
I must admit, I've never paid attention to whether any food served at Dzur Mountain contains garlic.

>> This explains the "younger than me" statements that both make about each
>> other.  One is referring to their physical age at death, and the other to
>> their numerical age.
>
>I've been assuming that Tukko/Chaz is a person embodying a role in Dzur
>Mountain's function.  Here presumably the mountain is older, the person is
>younger.  Tukko would be more the role, Chaz the person; the former is in
>tip-top condition, the latter less so.  Maybe Chaz had a friend who was
>the previous Tukko, and the friend said, Stand here for a minute, please,
>I've got to go see a man about a horse (hmm, no horse analogs, are
>there?), and Chaz has been Tukko ever since.

:-)
What's his full name?  Ah, Lyorn Records to the rescue: "Dri'Chazik a Tukknaro Dzur".  As people pointed out to me here, it sure looks like the Something of Dzur Mountain.
>> Furthermore, and this is a bit more out there, I'm wondering if Tukko is a
>> Lavode as well

I don't think so.  Doesn't Sethra say in one of the Vlad books that there's onlyone beside her, and he's in training?  That turns out to be Telnan.
>I don't think, based on _FHYA_, that being a Lavode means anything
>significant.

Beyond being a member of an elite corps of fighting sorcerers?

>> Being so connected, they are more or less one person in different
>> bodies; one of the reasons why Sethra was offered godhood.
>
>Sethra can't be Paarfi and Tukko, it's too confusing.

I'm inclined to agree.
Jerry Friedman